Testosterone Towers stays home - Day 46

Today I'd like to take a moment to tell you about 'My Boys'.
A phrase that is never far from my lips.

Now, before you stop reading because you think this is one of those smug Christian posts about how wonderful my kids are because we followed the formula of upbringing that turns out perfect children, stop a minute.
Then if you find it is one of those smug posts you can hit me over the head with a smelly sock.

They are not perfect, you won't be surprised to know.
Over the last few weeks you'll have caught a glimpse of some of the trials and tribulations we face as part of normal life in Testosterone Towers.
They argue, they wind me up, they stay out until the early hours of the morning on occasion,
they tell bad jokes, they break wind, they make a mess around the place, and sometimes say rude words.
However they are also very funny, generous, and kind.
They are sometimes thoughtful, and when push comes to shove they will defend each other fiercely, with compassion and love.

It's not easy being a Salvation Army Officer's kid, a clergy-child,
or, my personal favourite, the 'Son of a preacher-man'.
We've tried hard to give them as normal a family life as possible, but there will undoubtedly have been occasions when they thought we should be with them, when we had to be involved in someone else's life.

I asked them about it earlier.
On the whole they've been happy with their lot, but helpful points they made were:
1. People can be idiots. (That was the clean version.)
And as people of faith who view The Salvation Army as their church, but have no interest in becoming members of it they say:
2. People need to realise there's more to life than the Army.
(This is a general observation, not linked to any particular corps, in case you were wondering.)

The reason I'm posting this today is because they were at their best last night.
The girlfriend of one of them had terrible family news, and quick as a flash they were there for each other as a unit, in a way that I haven't seen in them for a while.
(They spend most of their days sharing in 'bants')

I went to bed frustrated and angry that life is so awful at the moment, and they were too young to be dealing with all this stuff.
As I heard them chatting long afterwards, I was proud of them and who they are becoming.

But even as I write this I know that the way they are growing as men, has little to do with me or Chris.
We did the very best we could as parents, as well as making mistakes;
but I know lots of other people who do their very best too,
and things haven't worked out as they hoped or dreamed.

I also know that things can change very quickly.
The last few months have taught us that.
I believe that we just do all we can do, then leave the rest to God.
As parents, take heart today, all we can do is love them and trust them, and hope for them.
And pray.
Obvs.

If you're worried about your children/adults today, I know that feeling well.
I'm praying that things will work out in the best way possible for you and your family.
God's got them.
And you.

Click on the following link, or copy it in your browser, to hear a very old song
about Mary, Mother of James and John.
It's called, 'My boys.'
It may sound familiar...

https://youtu.be/-LsCiG_uO_w

Lots of love x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend