Testosterone Towers stays at home - Day 68

I felt a little put-out this morning.
The lake I swim in every Saturday has recently re-opened.

For context, I swim there every Saturday all year round.
During the swimming season I also swim there two evenings.
I've been swimming there for over three years now.
I think I'm within my rights to view it as my swimming place.
Until now.

It's the only place in the area that's re-opened for swimming.
They quite rightly, have worked hard to make it as safe as possible,
and are keen to have lots of people swimming there.
They've lost a lot of money during the lockdown.

However...
Today the car-park was full to bursting.
There was a queue to pay apparently.
And everywhere I looked there was a tall, skinny person in a wetsuit.
They don't swim there usually.
Some of them, have even turned up their noses to it in the past.
Yet there they were.
Everywhere.
Think flying ants at a picnic.

Yes I know, I don't own it.
I know they pay their money like me.
I even know they're allowed to drive posh cars and wear a wetsuit.
Yes I'll admit I'm prejudiced.
Sorry.

If I'd been six I'd have shouted and stamped and stormed off.
As I'm a grown-up, I only shouted and stamped inside, 
then drove off for a socially-distanced swim in the River Beane with a couple of friends.

And guess what?
It was heaven.
The temperature just right.
It was easy to get in and out.
And if you swam in one direction for a minute or two, 
it gently swooshed you back like a lazy-river-ride.
And it was free!

It's easy to be judgemental, even stroppy at times.
To feel a sense of entitlement, and complain that things aren't as they should be.
I've felt like that a little bit this week, as we've had a couple more lockdown-celebrations.
But sometimes, just sometimes, there is something better, just around the corner.


                                                             Me in the River Beane

“No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined 
what God has prepared for those who love him.” 
1 Corinthians 2:9

Lots of love xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend