Testosterone Towers stays at home - Day 41

A friend texted me about something this morning.
She finished her text with the words, "Have a restful Sabbath."

Those words have stayed with me today.
For those of us in a similar church tradition, Sunday isn't usually restful.
The schedule isn't as mad as it was when I was a child:
Three meetings, two Sunday-schools and Two Open-Airs, but still.

Sunday is traditionally a day when the elders in Testosterone Towers are
always tired. continually hungry, and in bed as early as possible.
Sundays have always felt that way for us.
That's why we usually take Mondays off.

But Sabbath is something different.
We rarely find it on a Sunday,
but Sabbath-rest is something we look for, and receive, in various ways through a busy week.

I rested in the garden post-swim, following the Zoom meeting with our church
and I realised I was catching a glimpse of the 'un-forced rhythms of grace' (Matthew 11).
It's a phrase we hear often these days, from The Message.
But it's rare for me to experience it in quite the way I did today.

I always breathe differently after a swim.
It's part of the appeal.
As I became aware of my breath, listened to the birds, and raised my face towards the sun,
a smile came un-bidden to my lips, and joy wasn't far behind.
In days like these, I'm grateful.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend