Lockdown 2: The Sequel. Day 21

 After an early-morning swim in the river, today seems to have been non-stop so far.

I'm at home now, with a cup of coffee and a chocolate biscuit. If you haven't tried McVities VIB's orange flavour, you must. Other biscuits are available. (But not as nice...)

I have spent part of the day at the church. 

If I felt so inclined, I could give you a snapshot of my 'have-done list.'

But instead, I have decided to share some thoughts with you about our current stress levels.

These weeks are always full to the brim with plans and preparations, for services, for ways we are helping struggling families, Christmas plays, Carol Services, Carolling, shopping, family stuff, and a whole host of things I can't think of at the moment.

This is my 28th Christmas as a Salvation Army Officer, and this time of the year is always, always busy. With no exceptions. 

Ever.

Until now...

Now before you shout me down, and tell me to speak for myself, I am. 

I would class myself as steadily busy at the moment, and I don't usually take notice of such things. It's a long story...

What I have observed in myself, and also in others, is that my brain is in overdrive about the fact that I'm not really sure what to do next. I seem to be in constant high-alert, as if something is just around the corner that I haven't considered.

What have I forgotten?

Who have I missed?

What do I need to do now?

It's as if I'm getting stressed, about the fact I know I should be stressed, but actually I'm not as stressed as I think I should be, and that's very stressful, as there may be untold stress just around the corner.

Are you still with me?


So today, in conversation with a co-worker, I've reminded myself that 2020 is a year like no other.

I can prepare, or plan as usual, but most of the time I will need to see what arises, and react as it happens.

The things I need to do, if I am to navigate these weeks as well as possible, are as follows:

1. Eat regularly. Surviving on a cup of coffee until just before 2pm, is not a smart move.

2. Drink water. It definitely helps. I'm keeping bottles topped up in the fridge.

3. Break at regular intervals. Again, a 2pm collapse into a chair is not helpful. Neither is the chocolate biscuit, but have I told you how good they are?

4. I will try and have some kind of strategy for the day, and when I get overwhelmed I will get out the pen and paper. It's good to get things out of my head, and onto a page.

5. I will chat to people when I can. It doesn't matter who. It doesn't have to be work-related. Even I'm missing social interaction, and I live in Testosterone Towers; and I'm an introvert.

6. I'm still doing the Move-ember thing of doing some sort of exercise every day. A cold water dip in the river is my activity of choice, but I realise it may not be yours. A walk with Daisy is good too.

So there you have it.

These are my thoughts/observations.

You may not relate to them, and that's ok. 

You may have things you do, that help you. Please put it in the comments so we can resource each other.


And finally, can I just remind us how well we're doing?

We're living through a pandemic for goodness sake. 

"Give yourself a pat on the back." (Trevor & Simon)


This comes with love and prayers from our house to yours.

We've got this.

God's got this; and you.

Lots of love xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend