Self-Isolation in Testosterone Towers - Day 4

I've had a good day today!

Regular readers will know I've been struggling with overwhelm in the mornings.
Today was different because....

I ignored my phone for a while.
It worked like magic!

I believe Chris is feeling a little better today.
I know this because he spent half an hour this morning chatting,
checking things were organised,
and generally making a nuisance of himself.

Chris and I have worked full-time all our lives,
even when the children came along.
So there is an "all hands on deck" vibe in our house.
We are all used to doing what needs done as required.

This seems to be invaluable at the moment.
Jobs get allocated every day to try and share the load.
I think this has contributed to Chris's feelings of helplessness.
When we're used to playing our part, it's hard when you can't.
Also, the key to recovery from the virus is rest, which is definitely a skill to be learned.

There's also the reality that most of us will get this illness.
Our time will come to be the ones to help others.

Another thing I've realised is that social distancing or self-isolation
means we have to abandon any notion of  'a good work-ethic',
being strong
or being brave.

In my experience we need to take the long view.
This isn't going away quickly,
so in a sense we have time to make considered decisions
rather than jumping straight in.

I've spent the last few years coming to terms with,
and learning to manage,
the illnesses I have.
There are times when I've felt weak or 'less than'.
It's been a learning curve.

Over the last few days I've realised I have a whole new skill-set that may be invaluable in the days ahead.
I've learnt to live day by day.
To accept and acknowledge that how I am in this moment is ok.
I give myself permission to practice self-care,
and encourage others to do the same.
I'm convinced that's enabled me greatly this week.
As I look back I'm quite proud of,
and a little amazed,
at all I've done.

Tempers were a little high for a few moments today.
So far it seems that one by one we are all having difficult days.
It's been hard not to react badly.
Extra TLC and understanding have been required;
also distraction and space.

Highlights today:
1. Daisy and I had a long walk. It was wonderful to be outside, and able to chat to other dog-walkers from a safe distance.
If you have missed my video you can find it here
https://www.facebook.com/karen.sandford.9/posts/10221332096917146?notif_id=1584721228437933&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

2. Bacon and egg for lunch.
3. Making calls from the car. I've never spoken so much on the phone.
4. A video of my cousin's baby giggling.
Especially as I dedicated/christened him last weekend.
5. Video-calling Mum to show her some primroses.

Dinner was left-over pasta, a slice of pizza and garlic bread.
Joel made a cake so we're looking forward to that with some strawberries that need eating.

Hope you've had a good one x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend