Self-Isolation in Testosterone Towers. Day 1

Day 1 - 17.3.20
Chris has been coughing for a few days but today was different somehow.
We decided he should stay home.
I went to the church to try and make plans with our Centre-Coordinator
while we awaited guidelines from an emergency meeting at THQ.

The problem we face is that traditionally we have always been the church that helps.
We are the ones who go into difficult situations.
We roll up our sleeves.
We feel the fear but do it anyway.

But this is a potentially lethal disease.
Some people have tested positive with no symptoms.
It has a long incubation period.
It’s not just our lives we’re risking,
but the lives of others in our care.

The group decision to cancel activities this week while we await guidance was largely supported,
with  just a few suggesting we were over-reacting.

Within a few hours our family was in self-isolation.
The two who were out at work and school had to return home.
I was trying to make decisions for the church, with our team,
and for my home and family,
all based on government advice.
All the while, Chris was coughing and spluttering and feeling worse.

By the end of the day we’d agreed to do some family planning tomorrow.
(Not that sort...)
It was too much to take in all at once.

We’ve had a delivery of medicines,
and several offers of practical help tomorrow.

The decision about activities, including worship,
is no longer ours to make,
but being urged to think how we can still help people,
within the restrictions we have,
is a step too far for me tonight.
Tomorrow is another day.

I’m not scared of the illness.
Apart from mild asthma we are all healthy.
Although we do have other family who are vulnerable.
But I am a little anxious for all that is unknown.
And much as the thought of 5 adults incarcerated in Testosterone Towers fills me with dread,
I realise that others face the future alone.

So tonight I’m praying.
I know some people are scornful of that.

But I believe prayer changes things.
Prayer changes me.

Lots of love xx






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend