On having a blood test.

I cried behind my mask today.
Not metaphorically, but literally.
These were no silent tears, they were loud-ish.
Loud enough to bring the lady who’d been, shall we say, unhelpful, a few minutes before, into the room I was waiting for my blood to be taken.
She pretended she needed to look at something, but she didn’t. She needed to look at me.

And she never said a word.
Not one.
And the nurse who took my blood didn’t say anything either.
Except to ask me to hold my arm out, which I did.
She then asked if she could explain something to me. I said no, please just take my blood. I know it’s not your fault.

An observer might think they were cold.
Callous even.
But they did their job. They did a blood test I’d been trying to get done for over a week. They followed procedure.

And what I needed in that moment wasn’t someone to pat me on the shoulder,
no there, there, there.
Not even a hug.

I needed to cry.
Ugly cry if necessary.
Because tears are healing.
It’s important sometimes to let our prayers roll down our cheeks.
And when it comes to tears, I believe it’s better out than in.

Especially at the moment.
When we can’t articulate what is happening inside, our tears will say it for us.
Other emotions too. Sorry Joel... 😘

I’m now sat in Costa having coffee and a toastie.
It was a fasting blood test so it was probably a hangry cry too.

I hope you’re having a good day.
Remember it’s better out than in.
With most things not all.
Residents of Testosterone Towers, I’m looking at you...


Lots of love xx




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend