Advent 4: Still waiting x

I used to love Christmas cards.
Part of me still does.

Remember the days pre-social media?
The contact from people we hadn’t seen for years.
The catch up on their news.
The pledge to ‘get together soon.’

This year
For the first time ever
I haven’t written even one Christmas card.

The reasons for this are as follows:
1. I couldn’t find them and I didn’t want to buy more.
2. I haven’t quite found the time.
3. I’m a rebel who can’t be tamed.
(One of those may not be true.)

Strangely enough the ones I feel bad about are the ones for our congregation.
Which is weird as I’ll be seeing most of them to wish them the blessings of the season, in person.

I think I don’t want them to feel forgotten,
Because they’re not.
Not thought about,
Because they are.
Unloved,
Because they’re not.
Even the trickier ones...

The truth is I found the cards yesterday.
I’d put them in a safe place.
I can just about find time to write them.

But I’m not going to.
I’m weary and would feel resentful.

However, I will promise to pray for all who I’d normally send cards to.
And those I don’t.
I will wish you a Christmas full of life and love,
Of joy and peace,
And chocolate
Obvs.

If you’re feeling neglected
Remember a Christmas card from me isn’t a symbol of all you mean to me.
I hope you feel loved, cherished and appreciated by me all year round.

And if you’re ever the optimist,
Knowing I’ll cave and stay up late to write them,
You may spend a long time still waiting x





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend