Advent 2 - Still. Waiting.

I go for blood tests quite often.
If I time it right I can get a number,
A flat-white from Costa
Then sit and wait for my number to come up.
It's all in the detail.

A few weeks ago I saw a lady I knew through work.
We had that moment of checking whether we both wanted to make eye-contact.
She did.
I did.
A hug later and we were chatting.

Before long we were past the chit-chat and into personal territory,
And she told me something she hadn't told anyone before,
she thought I might understand.

I did.
I got it.
The thing she couldn't tell anyone.
The thing that felt like the worst thing in the world.
The thing that I'd only expressed myself a few times.
I knew.

Her face lit up.
She hugged me,
She went on her way.

I waited for my blood test.
Grateful.
Proud.
Excited.
And yes, blessed
(no hashtag required)

Blessed to be the one who listens,
Who nods.
Who understands because she's been there herself,
Often.

Blessed to be the one who says it's ok to feel that way.
I have.
I'll pray.

Blessed to be the one with time to kill between appointments.
To be still.
Waiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend