On being a nice driver.

The town where I live is quite busy.
It has tons of roundabouts
And a bountiful supply of parked cars.

Driving around it is interesting at times.
All the time it seems we’re faced with the ancient philosophical question  question
To give way or not to give way.

Now I know there are rules about such things.
I know the Highway Code and can recite it on request.
Obviously 🙄

But what about times when judgement is required?
It’s my right of way.
There are parked cars on both sides
but room for two.
It’s not my right of way but they’re approaching very slowly.

And the age old ‘Who dares wins’
When you all get to the roundabout at the same time.

Time and experience has taught me how to be
a fairly good, safe driver.
Other people may not agree with me.
Ask my sons about my clutch control.
But I’ve not had any complaints.
At least not to my face.

My thinking is how in life we know the right thing to do.
We know the rules.
We know our rights
And we have every right to exercise them.

However sometimes being kind is more important than being right.
Is it only me that gets a big smile on their face
When someone lets you out when they don’t have to?
Or gives way with a smile when you know it should be you waiting.

In my life I’ve spent quite some time being a bit cross with people.
I’ve wanted to lash out like a wounded animal when someone has done me harm.
And I’ve prowled round like a roaring lion
Looking for someone to devour
if my children are hurting.

The older I get
The more futile that seems.
Not that we should be walked over
Or treated poorly.
We have every right to feel what we do.
Of course we do.
It’s a natural response.

But often the way people treat us is nothing to do with us
But an indication of what’s happening in their own life.
Pausing may lead us to respond with
Thoughtfulness
Compassion
Peace.

In a crossover from other traditions
I’ve been using the loving kindness meditation
As part of my prayers.

It gives me perspective
And helps me to
‘Love my enemies’
Or treat them reasonably at the very least.

It doesn’t always work.
It’s hard to unlearn years of experience.
But just pausing can help.
Not for too long though as the drivers behind you get annoyed.

Happy journeying x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend