On roots and wings.

“In the dedication of this child, you desire to give him fully to God. 
You wish to thank God for entrusting this precious life into your hands
And you want him to be nurtured in all that is pure, lovely, and honest.”

Those words are ringing in my ears tonight.
Mainly because we had the honour of dedicating a baby earlier today.
Partly because, the baby we made those promises for, almost 19 years ago,
Is flying the nest in the morning.

It’s right.
I know it is.
Roots and wings and all that.

I know he’s only going to be an hour away.
I know he’ll be back.
I know I’ll appreciate a bit less testosterone in Testosterone Towers.
But give me a moment.

He knows I’ll cry tomorrow.
He’s been warned.
He also knows that doesn’t mean I’m not happy.

I’ll miss his cheek, 
his jokes,
his infinite supply of rude remarks about my height.

I’ll miss him talking in his sleep
(Right now).
His chuckle 
his smile 
and his deep, long, hugs.

But as he leaves a space in the Towers,
He takes with him our love,
Our prayers,
Our pride at being his parents.
And yes he probably will be back on his birthday in three weeks time.
I know...

‘May the Lord bless and protect you; 
may the Lord’s face radiate with joy because of you; 
may he be gracious to you, 
show you his favour, and 
give you his peace.’

Numbers 6:24-26

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend