Venturing upstream.



I ventured upstream today.

Not by much, but there were a few teenagers hanging around where I usually enter the river.

So I got in higher up.

I've got in there before, and it's a beautiful place to swim.

A bit like having my own pool.


One of the rules of wild swimming is always find a safe place to enter and exit the water.

It's quite an important one from a safety perspective.

I'd swum there before so I knew I was ok.  

Or so I thought.


The problem was that I'd swum there last in the middle of a hot spell.

We've had a lot of rain since then.

The water level was higher, so the exit was deeper.

It wasn't quite as easy to get out as I remembered.


Now don't start fearing for my safety.

Mum, I'm looking at you...

I still got out fairly easily.

The bank was a bit more slippy than previously.

It was more of a scramble than a dignified exit,

and mud was involved. 


So my thoughts today are, 

don't assume that the old, familiar ways are the best, 

or the safest.

Things change. 

We change. 

Life changes.


Over the last few months I've been thinking about the verse in Jeremiah 6:

This is what the LORD says: 

"Stand at the crossroads and look; 

ask for the ancient paths, 

ask where the good way is, 

and walk in it, 

and you will find rest for your souls."


The way for us may not be a new way. 

It may be the old way, the ancient path.

But we need to stop.

Pause.

Ask.

Who knows, it may well involve a scramble up a muddy bank if you're lucky.

Or not...

Hope you've had a good day.

Lots of love xx

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend