On asking for a latte.

I had a meeting in a coffee shop this morning.
The request was for cake so I chose accordingly.
On my way to the table
Tray in hand
Slopping coffee everywhere
The realisation hit me.

Our lattes didn’t look in the least like lattes.
On further investigation they didn’t taste like them either.

So I returned to the counter with the words
“These lattes don’t seem right.”

After a little discussion,
The girl behind the counter informed
me that what I was describing wasn’t a latte at all.
It was in fact a cappuccino...

Cue prolonged silence as clanger descends.

Now I’m quite forthcoming on my love of coffee.
I can tell my flat white from my elbow.
And to be honest,
I’d been drinking lattes
since before the person serving me
was a twinkle in her Daddy’s eye.

To cut a long story short
I returned to the table with two lattes.
They looked like lattes
And tasted like lattes.
We were happy.

But the question on my mind recently has been

When do we become unteachable?

Is there a danger of us believing there is nothing new under the sun?

Can we become jaded because we’ve heard it all before?

I think I can.
And I’m a self-confessed life-long learner.

But in certain circumstances I react badly to information sharing.

You will know the truth
And the truth will set you free.
(John 8:32)

I guess hearing truth doesn’t mean it’s new information.
More that in hearing and speaking truth,
we connect with each other.

One of my least-favourite work events is coming up soon.
It’s difficult for many reasons,
Not least the overwhelming number of people.

But I hope it will be a time of sharing truth.
Of hearing truth.
Of learning new truths.
Of growing together again.

And if you’re there and it seems like I’m hiding
I probably am.
But it’s me.
Not you.

Lots of love xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend