Tuesday, 10 February 2015

He makes me lie down....

I was on retreat for a few days last week.
It was with the Salvation Army officers from our region.

Wednesday morning dawned bright and clear.
We were sent off with a copy of Psalm 23 clutched tightly in our hands
to meditate on
and learn
during 60 minutes of silence.

I set off with my camera in hand.
I'd done something similar recently,
So already knew the psalm by heart.

As I walked I recited and clicked.

The Lord is my shepherd

I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

And so on

And so forth

And it was easy to recite

And live

As I walked beside the still waters.



I heard God speak several times

And then I arrived here.




And our conversation went like this:

God: Well go on then.

(I knew what was coming bit couldn't quite believe He was going to say it.)

Me: What?

G: Lie down in green pastures.

Me: You're joking right? It's cold. Damp. Frosty. Muddy.
And I'm wearing a skirt.
And a new cardigan.

G: Lay on your scarf.

Me: But that's only thin. Not even wool.

And we carried on like this for a while.

But eventually I laid down my scarf
And laid down
And gazed at the sky
And waited

For the meaningful cloud shapes
At least a kiss in the air trails
Or the writing in the sky.

But no.
Nothing.

Though it was quite pleasant,

Just laying there,

And after about ten minutes I got up.

And then it came...
The message.

My scarf
My cardigan
My skirt

were all bone-dry.

Nice one God.

And as I walked back to the Conference Centre I wondered

Was it a bit Gideon-esque?
Laying out a fleece and all that?

Or maybe a
'Trust & Obey' thing.

But then the verse from Malachi 3:10 came to mind.
It talks about bringing the whole tithe into the Temple.
Giving our all to God.
Who we are, not just what we have.

And then this:

"Test me in this

and see if I don’t open up heaven itself to you

and pour out blessings

beyond your wildest dreams."


So there it is.

And I'm still pondering.

And wondering.

And asking.

Always asking.



No comments: