He makes me lie down....

I was on retreat for a few days last week.
It was with the Salvation Army officers from our region.

Wednesday morning dawned bright and clear.
We were sent off with a copy of Psalm 23 clutched tightly in our hands
to meditate on
and learn
during 60 minutes of silence.

I set off with my camera in hand.
I'd done something similar recently,
So already knew the psalm by heart.

As I walked I recited and clicked.

The Lord is my shepherd

I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.

And so on

And so forth

And it was easy to recite

And live

As I walked beside the still waters.



I heard God speak several times

And then I arrived here.




And our conversation went like this:

God: Well go on then.

(I knew what was coming bit couldn't quite believe He was going to say it.)

Me: What?

G: Lie down in green pastures.

Me: You're joking right? It's cold. Damp. Frosty. Muddy.
And I'm wearing a skirt.
And a new cardigan.

G: Lay on your scarf.

Me: But that's only thin. Not even wool.

And we carried on like this for a while.

But eventually I laid down my scarf
And laid down
And gazed at the sky
And waited

For the meaningful cloud shapes
At least a kiss in the air trails
Or the writing in the sky.

But no.
Nothing.

Though it was quite pleasant,

Just laying there,

And after about ten minutes I got up.

And then it came...
The message.

My scarf
My cardigan
My skirt

were all bone-dry.

Nice one God.

And as I walked back to the Conference Centre I wondered

Was it a bit Gideon-esque?
Laying out a fleece and all that?

Or maybe a
'Trust & Obey' thing.

But then the verse from Malachi 3:10 came to mind.
It talks about bringing the whole tithe into the Temple.
Giving our all to God.
Who we are, not just what we have.

And then this:

"Test me in this

and see if I don’t open up heaven itself to you

and pour out blessings

beyond your wildest dreams."


So there it is.

And I'm still pondering.

And wondering.

And asking.

Always asking.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend