Five Minute Friday: Listen

We took Dad's ashes to be interred on Tuesday.
His final resting place is All Saints Church in a little village called Sandford.



The village held so many memories as we passed through it

Granny and Grandad's bungalow

The garden equipment shop that used to be a garage we went to for sweets and comics.

The Post Office cum Village Shop that sells EVERYTHING.

The Village Hall where we used to go to 'Mothers' Union' with granny.
Mum, my brother and I were the star turn one week.
We sang, we played our brass instruments,
I even played the tambourine!
(The women must have been very forgiving....
Either that or it wasn't actually tea they were drinking...)

It was also the place where we celebrated my Grandad's 80th and 90th birthdays.

We passed the park we were allowed to walk to as we got older
to play on the swings.

If I listened carefully I could hear
the laughter of children
the tinkle of glasses
the bikes screeching to a halt
my brother teasing me
the neighbours ringing the doorbell inviting us to play
Granny and Grandad calling
Tea being poured
Butter being spread
Cakes being sliced

But when we reached the church the soundtrack changed.

This little church, set high up from the road was the centre of it all.

Here we all used to cram into Grandad's churchwarden's pew.
If we were good he let us help him give out the books.
We even rang the church bell once!



The smell of the church was partly age,
but also the scent of God's blessing
On hundreds,
maybe thousands of people through the years.

Of friendships made
Lives changed
Griefs shared
Souls won.



And it was here, we knew,
that Dad would be pleased to have his remains left.

It was a simple few moments.
Prayers said
Scripture shared
Tears shed.




And so we left him there.
In a place where Granny lay alone for many years
But Uncle Steve
Grandad
And now Dad have joined her.

Our thoughts turned to others we have lost who are far away.
"So much loss, I can't bear it."
But we can.
And we have.
And we will.



The inscription on the original grave stone says
'I heard the voice of Jesus say
"Come unto me and rest"'

Listen....



Listen....

For in His arms we find
strength
love
hope
acceptance
rest.


At the back of the church




















 "You have made us for yourself, O Lord,
and our heart is restless
until it rests in you."
(Saint Augustine)





Comments

Sabrena said…
My grandmother passed away in March, and my heart is saddened by how much of every day I miss her. The sun just doesn't seem as bright without her...we were going to be old ladies together! I'm sorry for your loss.

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend