Stones cry out.

The pebbles filled the beach

As far as my eyes could see.
Different shapes and colours and sizes.

Ever since the children were small they've brought them to me.
Some I keep, and some I leave behind.
But look closely around our house and you'll see them.


Photo
Nathan brought me the pink one from a school trip.
The small, beautiful smooth ones are broken bits from a bigger shell.
Interesting....



Stones speak to me of
Reality
Truth
Certainties.

There's something about the fact that they've been
Weathered
Shaped
Formed over millions of years
that connects with my soul.

There aren't many certainties in life
but stones represent a steadfastness.
A faithfulness.







Recently I've started decorating them.
I told a friend I was looking for stones to put scripture verses on,
so he proceeded to try and lift a massive rock
"That's for Psalm 119..."

Scripture for me provides comfort
And solace
And strength.
So combining it with the stones makes sense to me.


Photo
This one was a gift from a friend.

Earlier this week I was stood on the shore.
The tide was out further than I had seen before.
Sand was beneath my feet
In place of the usual pebbles.

I had in my hands about five stones
Of all shapes and sizes.
And my thoughts turned to God
And my life
And the things I need answers to.
You know when you just want things to be settled for once?

And God said

"Empty your hands...

Get rid of the stones.

I've got something better for you."


And I said...

But

But they're really nice ones.
And there's a heart-shaped one
which would be perfect for our anniversary...

"Throw them down."

And I did.                                                                       

Reluctantly

Slowly

One

By

One.

Even the heart-shaped one.

And I lifted my empty hands to God
And asked him to give me what he had for me, for us.


When I walked back up to where Chris was sat
he had about half a dozen stones for me to look at.
He rarely does that.

So I chose from what he had for me.

And the significance wasn't lost on me.

"As children bring their broken toys, with tears, for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because he was my friend.
Impatient though, I snatched them back
And said
"You are so slow!"
"My child" He said,
"What could I do?
You never would let go."

And on our way home we had to make a phonecall.
And guess what?
I don't have the answers to all my questions
But it would seem that God has it in hand....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend