There's a place for us.

Last night I went to my first ever amateur music and dance show. As Mum to 3 boys I'm more accustomed to standing in the cold and wet of a muddy football pich, but my nieces aged 5 and 8 had asked us to go.
I'll be honest, I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it. I was worried it would be stage school at it's worst with cheesy fixed grins and singing in American accents. But Nathan and I went along to support the girls who were very excited.

It was incredible! Entitled 'Showtime!' it included songs and dances from many of the West End musicals I loved. Beth was great as Oliver, while The Artful Dodger sang 'Consider yourself'. Abbie was really cute in her ballerina outfit and dressed as a little pig while they sang 'I'm a believer' (Shrek), and they were both lovely in school uniform as they sang, "When I grow up." from Matilda. My favourite line from that show was  "We're told we have to do what we're told, but surely sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty."!

But the moment that gave me goosebumps, made my sister blub, and when I found myself praying was during the section from West Side story. The sight of my girls, and many others singing "There's a place for us, somewhere a place for us," brought a tear to my eye and a prayer to my heart. A whole range of ages from teenies to young adults were expressing what is arguably one of humanity's greatest need, to find a place where they belong, and are accepted.

As Christians we live in the 'now and not yet'. We know God has placed us on this earth for a time, but we live with the eternal hope of heaven. I suppose my prayer would be that today, we may find for ourselves security in the love of God, even though our day/week/month or even year may not be working out quite as we hoped. May we know that there truly is a 'place for us', in the loving arms of our heavenly Father.

And remember, 'Sometimes we have to be a little bit naughty....' Go on. I dare you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

20 years of ministry

Five Minute Friday: Song

Five Minute Friday: Friend